NEW Feature: Wikia Maps
Hi, KFP fans! :) I'd like to take a brief moment to inform you all about a new feature Wikia has recently released in Wikia Labs called Maps.
What is it?
Maps is simply a special wiki feature with its own namespace (like "Thread:" or "File:", etc.) that allows the community to create and edit an image into an interactive map! This is accomplished by "pinning" information onto an image: from characters and locations, to items and events and more! I'm not sure if there will be a list of default categories to choose from, but we can also create our categories own with its own map symbol (which I'll be more than happy to design, if needed).
Though I haven't tried all of the features out myself yet, I've looked at them through Wikia's videos and examples and it seems to be in good shape for us to use here. If we do happen to run into a bug, however, we'll be able to help Wikia out with the feature by reporting bugs to them. :)
- Wikia's blog post announcement
- An introductory wiki about the feature
- The new Help page for the feature, which includes instructions to what kind of images we'll need, how they will be stored, etc.
Post your ideas!
The reason I posted about this was not just to let everyone know about it, but also to create a thread that everyone can share and talk about their ideas for this feature. There's a lot of stuff we could map for the KFP franchise: locations, important characters, objects of significant value, movie posters, etc. The categories for the maps are also endless in possibilities. Just from the few I listed above, we'll be able to get our maps filled up with tons of info!
Also, FYI: I haven't enabled the Maps feature on this wiki yet. I would like us to form a good list of ideas first before we jump into it.
To get the ideas rolling, here's how we can do this...
In a post, include the following:
- An image that you think would make a good map. It doesn't have to be in full size now, though we should try and get a full-sized one in the future if we want to use it. Feel free to also give it a title if you want, though we can work out all of those details later if we need to.
- A list of map categories (with one or two examples each). This will especially be useful in deciding what kind of icons we should have with our maps. I'll be able to determine which ones are popular, and then get started on making them.
From there, we can use the Forum's "Karma" feature to determine which ones the community likes. I don't think we should have a limit (yet) on how many maps we'll use for the Maps feature; as long as there's a good image with a good list of categories, then we should definitely use it.
Feel free to leave any questions about the Maps feature here in this thread. Let's get started! :D